Application & Admissions
New applicants: The application process, including the submission of all relevant documents for all programs at UNM, is now online and can be initiated at this website: http://grad.unm.edu/prospective-students/apply-now.html. Application guidelines for the Educational Linguistics Program are available to view online in the current UNM Catalog.
Additional questions may be addressed to the program office (505-277-0437) or to Dr. Bee Chamcharatsri, the program coordinator (email@example.com). In addition, potential applicants are encouraged to contact Educational Linguistics faculty in their areas of interest to learn more about our program and faculty. A complete discussion of graduate study requirements can be found in the online UNM Catalog. Contact Margaret Gonzales, unit administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org, for information on the fall new student orientation.
Three letters of recommendation and a letter of intent are required parts of the application packet. In addition, a writing sample is required; you should submit a copy of the M.A. thesis or a research paper of high quality. The program in Educational Linguistics does not require graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores.
Applicants who completed the M.A. at UNM within the last three semesters must file a “Request for Change or Addition of Degree or Graduate Unit” form, together with:
- A writing sample,
- Three new letters of recommendation, and
- A new letter of intent.
The Selections Committee of the Educational Linguistics faculty will review complete applications and collectively decide on the suitability of the applicants for our areas of program strength, subject to review by the entire faculty. The decision-making process will include considerations of balance of interests within the program, compatibility of applicant interests with program faculty, and the current limit on admissions.
ALL Applicants: The letter of recommendation forms and letter of intent follow-up information can be found by clicking on “Admission Forms” on this web site: https://grad.unm.edu/resources/graduate-students/gs-forms/index.html. Applicants are strongly encouraged to include letters from professors, who taught them in their last degree-seeking program.
Checklist for U.S. Applicants
The Self-Managed Application packet consists of:
- Application for Admission: on the application, applicants should write:
- On line 15, Degree Sought……………………………Ph.D.
- On line 16, Graduate Unit…………………………….Ed Ling-LLSS
- On line 17, Major Code………………………………Ph.D. ELNG
- Application fee of $50.00
- Completed and signed Graduate Application/Residency Form
- All undergraduate and graduate transcripts of all colleges you have attended. (Exception: UNM transcript.) Note that you will need TWO official copies of all transcripts: one sent to the Office of Admissions and one to the LLSS Department)
- Three recent letters of recommendation from professors or other persons who can comment on your teaching, scholarship, and potential for doctoral study and research.
- A letter of intent clearly describing your background and areas of interest and why you feel the Educational Linguistics Program at the University of New Mexico is well suited to help you meet your goals. Guidelines for writing a letter of intent are provided on the following web page under “Admission Forms”: http://grad.unm.edu/resources/gs-forms/index.html
- A sample of academic writing, usually an MA thesis or research paper of high quality.
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
International students: In addition to the Educational Linguistics application, international applicants must submit application materials to UNM’s Global Education Office, which can be accessed on-line at http://geo.unm.edu/admission/graduate/index.html.
The deadline for Ph.D. candidates is December 1, for admittance for the following Fall semester. Applications to the doctoral program are reviewed shortly after this deadline.
Checklist for International Applicants -- See current information at the Global Education Office (GEO) website: http://geo.unm.edu/admission/graduate/index.html
Submit an application packet consisting of items a-h above PLUS:
- Completed financial guarantee form. (Please note that this form must be submitted with your application. This form may be downloaded at: http://www.unm.edu/admissions/guidelines/IntlCertFinancialResponsibility_BB7C.pdf
- Evidence of English language proficiency - IELTS, TOEFL, or Cambridge. The Educational Linguistics program adheres to the general English language proficiency requirements of UNM. Please check the website of the Global Education Office for current cutoff scores. http://geo.unm.edu/admission/graduate/requirements/index.html or you may call them at (505) 277-5892.