Skip to main content

COEHS District Partner Teacher Residencies (DPTR)

Join us February 8th to learn more about Teacher Residencies across the State

1pm to 2pm at Travelstead Hall on UNM's campus
5pm to 6:30pm via Zoom with Rio Rancho Schools

Click here to register!

We are accepting applications through February 15, 2023, or until resident positions are filled. Applications will be accepted PENDING FUNDING from the State of New Mexico. We anticipate knowing if we receive funding by early April 2023.

We will not know if funding will be available for Teacher Residencies until the end of the New Mexico State Legislative Session in mid-March. We will continue to update this website as more information is available.

By completing an application, you are formally applying to DPTR. However, if funding does not become available, you may withdraw your application at any time.

Questions? Please complete the "Not Ready to Apply, But Have a Question for Us" form on the page below.

What is Teacher Residency?

Teacher residency is a paid year-long rigorous guided apprenticeship with an experienced co-teacher. Residencies occur in partner Districts or Charter Schools that intend to employ the resident for three years post-residency. With anticipated funding from New Mexico House Bill 13 “Teacher Residencies,” the COEHS is partnering with several surrounding districts and charter schools to prepare teachers specifically to teach in these programs.

Program Overview

  • Each District/Charter School in the DPTR is a unique partnership between College of Education & Human Sciences and select Districts and Charter Schools

  • Teacher Residents complete methods courses and student teaching in 2 semesters (Fall & Spring)

  • Residents receive a stipend of $35,000 over the course of Fall and Spring semesters.

    • This stipend is taxable income.

    • Please understand the implications for your other financial assistance such as financial aid, supplemental income, supplemental housing allowances, child support, etc.

    • You may choose to use these funds for tuition or living expenses.

    • You may choose to opt out of funding for your Residency Year.

  • Each partner District and Charter School agrees to hire each Resident once they receive licensure along with a positive recommendation from the Residency School.

  • Residents agree to teach in their partner District or Charter School for a minimum of 3 years as licensed teachers in K-12 schools.

  • Residents are discouraged from holding jobs outside of DPTR teaching and coursework responsibilities.

  • Graduate Programs
    • Graduate Certificate in Elementary Education with K-8 Licensure
    • MA in Secondary Education + Licensure
    • Special Education Graduate Alternative Licensure
  • Undergraduate Programs
    • Elementary Education BSED
    • Secondary Education BAED/BSED
    • Special Education Dual Licensure (Special Education & Elementary Education)

FALL 2022


  • Elementary Education: Coursework Mondays, weekday evenings, and online.
  • Secondary Education: Coursework Mondays, weekday evenings and online.
  • Special Education: Coursework Wednesday afternoons and weekday evenings.

Field Experience:

Beginning with the District Professional Learning Days for Teachers in early August

Following your District Calendar for the full semester for full teacher duty day reporting times

  • Elementary Education: Tuesdays-Fridays
  • Secondary Education: Tuesdays-Fridays
  • Special Education: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday mornings, Thursdays, Fridays



  • Complete courses not completed in Fall Semester, including content courses for Teaching Fields/Endorsements
  • Evening Seminar for each program 

Field Experience:

  • Mondays-Fridays for the full District Calendar and the full teacher duty day
  1. Register in Field Services Portal—

Proof of a district-specific cleared background check, fingerprinting, and liability insurance required.

  1. SECONDARY EDUCATION TEACHER RESIDENTS must pass their content-area PRAXIS Examination prior to the beginning of their 2nd semester of student teaching. A passing score must be submitted to your Program Coordinator on or before December 15 of the semester prior to your full-time student teaching semester.


Passing Scores Provided to UNM before beginning the Final Semester of Full Time Student Teaching:

  • English Language Arts (5038), Social Science (5081),
  • Mathematics (5165), General Science (5435),
  • French: World Languages (5174),
  • German: World Languages (5183),
  • OR Spanish: World Languages (5195)

To Register for Tests or for More Information

Information on the PRAXIS Fee Waiver:

  • True Partnership in the residency – Districts/ charter school partners co-construct and co-administer with UNM on the residency.
  • An award-winning residency partner – UNM COEHS is an experienced and award-winning residency partner. The Albuquerque Teacher Residency Program, in existence since 2017, is a nationally award-winning program. Our other residencies will learn and grow from that foundation.
  • Residents agree to teach in their partner District or Charter School for a minimum of 3 years as licensed teachers in K-12 schools.
  • Residents are discouraged from holding jobs outside of DPTR teaching and coursework responsibilities.
  • Each Principal who works with residents receives a stipend.
  • Stipend
  • Professional Development Opportunities

Would you like to be a Co-Teacher?

Complete the Co-Teacher application form to receive more details.

The Albuquerque Teacher Resident Program is now incorporated into the District Partners Teacher Residency program. ATRP was awarded the 2022 Billy G. Dixon Distinguished Program in Teacher Education.

The original webpage for ATRP is still live for archival purposes only. Interested Teacher Residents or Co-Teachers should refer to the applications on the DTPR page you are currently viewing.

Funding SourcePotential $$DetailsContact

Teacher Preparation Affordability Scholarship (TPA)

Up to $3,000 per semester

Based on Financial Need

Funding only for “unmet financial need” as determined by FAFSA application

UNM Financial Aid*

Grow Your Own Teachers Scholarship (GYOT)

Up to $3,000 per semester

Based on Financial Need

Must have been an Educational Assistant in New Mexico for a minimum of 2 years

UNM Financial Aid*


Up to $4,000 per year

Must agree to teach in a high-need subject area in a high-need school for a minimum of 4 years

UNM Financial Aid*

New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship

Tuition funding

For Undergraduates only for up to 7 semesters.

UNM Financial Aid*

Opportunity Scholarship

Tuition and fees

For Undergraduates only

UNM Financial Aid*

Nusenda Scholarship

Funding varies

Must have been an Educational Assistant in New Mexico for a minimum of 2 years

APS Education Foundation: Nusenda Credit Union Scholarship

New Mexico Workforce Connection

Tuition, fees, testing fees, books, etc.

For Graduate Licensure students in Elementary & Secondary Education only. Must be financially eligible.

Call Workforce Connection at 505-843-1907 to meet with a case

District Partner Teacher Residency (DPTR)

$35,000 stipend for 1 full year of clinical preparation.

Must apply and be accepted to a District Partner Teacher Residency

Visit the COEHS DPTR Website

Paid Student Teaching

More information to come soon.

Must complete a full semester of clinical preparation.

Visit the COEHS DPTR Website

Questions?  Email Dr. Marjori Krebs at

Note: Information is subject to change.

Not ready to apply, but have a question for us?

Complete the form to get in touch.

Professional Licensure Disclosure

Our program has determined it meets professional licensure requirements in the state of New Mexico. It has not determined it meets professional licensure requirements in any other state.