Secondary Education for Licensed teachers, M.A.
Summer/Fall Semesters: February 1 for best consideration. Applications will continue to be reviewed.
Spring Semester: September 1 for best consideration. Applications will continue to be reviewed.
Degree Program: Secondary Education
Degree: M.A. in Secondary Education, Licensed Teachers
Program Code: MA-SED
Department: Teacher Education, Educational Leadership & Policy
Program: Secondary Education
Apply to Masters in Secondary Education
To apply for admissions, you should:
- Complete the Application Requirements online at www.unm.edu/apply
Note: All applications must be received by the application deadline date. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Please see the Specific Application Instructions under Forms and Resources for additional information.
In our program, you will take 15 hours of core courses in areas of research, diversity, curriculum development, advanced instructional strategies, and a seminar at the end of the program.
You will also be able to explore one area of study through 18 hours of an emphasis area that you will choose. You may take courses to add a new endorsement, strengthen your teaching knowledge and skills in your current teaching area, investigate areas of teacher leadership, study your own teaching or learn how to impact the lives of students beyond your classroom. All courses will help you improve in your ability to assess your practice for student learning and other skills that will help you be prepared to complete the Professional Development Dossier for licensure advancement.
Steps to M.A. in Secondary Education for Licensed Teachers
1. Application for the Program
- Contact the MA in Secondary Education coordinator at email@example.com
- Submit your application to Graduate Studies and the Department by applying at www.unm.edu/apply
- Satisfy all university requirements for graduate admissions, including but not limited to the required GPA.
- After admission, continue to see your Academic Advisor regularly each semester to document your progress on the Advisement Form.
3. Completion of Program of Studies
- The semester before you intend to graduate, complete the formal Program of Studies Form with guidance and obtain approval of your Secondary Education Faculty Advisor.
- Complete and submit the electronic Program of Studies See grad.unm.edu for more information.
4. Complete the M.A. Degree Program
- Complete all degree requirements for the Master’s Core and Emphasis Area Courses with at least a 3.0 GPA within 7 years after admission to the program.
- Successfully complete the comprehensive master’s examination (Plan II) or a master’s thesis (Plan I).